Voice Over Girl

Voice Over Girl
Where's the microphone?

Sunday, November 6, 2011

That cancer patient brought out my cancer compassion

My own Mother died of cancer, and so did my father. When my Mother was diagnosed I was only 26. She was only 49. I was so very scared. I didn't ever ask her how she felt. I found myself avoiding her at times. I couldn't bear to admit she had cancer and was dying. That's how I handled her. She died at age 50 and I was 27. I ran and stayed busy for years so not to ever feel the sadness and to not ever question why I ran from her. My father was diagnosed at age 63, I wasn't even 40. During his final months, I came around a bit more. I still was afraid of him as I always had been, but I also felt his fear, which was so different than what I felt with my Mom.. I was beginning to slightly understand what it must feel like to know you are dying. He died 2 weeks shy of my 40th birthday. I didn't carry as much guilt as with what I had with my Mom. But overall I still didn't get it because I had never had it. Then I was diagnosed. Not once but twice with cancer. It was then that I would periodically think..."My gosh I never asked my parents how they felt, how much fear were they carrying" It all became so clear that I didn't know what to ask them.This has all changed because of my diagnosis. Cancer is a cruel monster. But put me in a room with another cancer patient and I am so there. I went for a cup of coffee today  and there in line next to me was a slender woman with her black velour sweat outfit on and her baseball cap covering her bald head. I couldn't believe it. I asked her, "so are you in treatment, or done?" She answered "done, but I am waiting for post CT Scans results in a few days" "What cancer did you have?"...."Brain. In 2 places"....my heartbroken response was "That just sucks, big time"...."I had it twice also, I still have numbness in my feet and hands"...She said "I am always cold, and my short term memory is shot" Oh could I agree with that one. I asked if she had kids, and how are they all handling it. Her name was called for her order, so I clutched her arm and could only wish her the best of luck for the results. My heart ached and the overwhelming sadness and compassion took over me. ....I stepped up to place my order and began to cry. I couldn't even speak my order. I looked at the cashier and apologized. "I am a cancer survivor and just talked with that woman who is fighting for her life now, it's all so unfair, and it all just sucks". The tears wouldn't stop flowing down my cheeks. What was happening to me I thought. I only knew the deep compassion I felt for this total stranger was something I hadn't felt before having cancer myself. It was so damn, damn sad. Will I ever know if she makes it?  I won't. I didn't get her name. I will just know that I understand now. I finally have that cancer compassion. It was my gift from my own cancer. I wished I could take it all away from everybody who is diagnosed.

No comments:

Post a Comment