Voice Over Girl

Voice Over Girl
Where's the microphone?

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Bakery Barista looked into my eyes and said... I'm glad you're here

Holly works at the coolest bakery in Dublin....Denikas. I told her last year I was diagnosed with cancer and was being treated with chemotherapy infusions. When I stumbled into the shoppe one day, hellbent on walking the 3 blocks while my car was being serviced...I was fatigued beyond anything I had ever felt. I could barely lift my feet to walk.
I sat down in a booth and started to cry. I couldn't believe it took everything out of me to walk there.I remember being committed to the walk and the whole time praying to God that I would make it to the coffee shop to have some cider. Non stop I repeated over and over again..."you can make this walk" She asked if I was okay, and all I wanted to do was just breathe....So she knew my story. This week I went into the bakery and there she was.....she cupped my hands and looked deep into my eyes and said "I'm so glad you are here"...I was taken back. Someone was glad I was here. I could have not been here....Just a year ago I was going through chemo treatments. Cancer can kill. It is a nasty horrible disease. And who the hell knows how fast it can ravage a body...but I am here. Holly brought it to my attention with her sweet gesture. I wonder still about it all. The goal now is to make 5 years, then one is cured. Right now it is called "cancer free" But damn I really could have not been here at this point in time...life cannot be taken for granted. I feel as though I am on high sensory and thinking about what Holly said. Maybe it is good, maybe it's one of those cancer lessons we get because of going through the journey, who the hell knows...but I think I am going to relish in the fact that I am here. And yes, again I can say those words my cancer surviving friend told me to say daily: Thank you God for my life today.

No comments:

Post a Comment