Voice Over Girl

Voice Over Girl
Where's the microphone?

Friday, June 17, 2011

One of my cancer patients died

Probably one of the most profound days in my chemo journey was meeting Nicci.There I was walking myself up the walkway to return my pump. Patients walked out one by one with bandanas on their heads as I sighed with dread as I was about to enter the building. I checked in and sat down when in only a few moments a woman sat down next to me and let out a huge sigh.The normal opening line from me, "so what type of cancer do you have?"....she sighs again, "it started with breast but now it has went to my brain". She paused for a moment and then looked deeply into my eyes and said "I don't know what's worse, having cancer or having my only son die in our house fire:' I gasped. I had just read about it in the newspaper. it was her! Her husband and son were taking a nap when the fire broke out in the loft-she had steped out for an errand and came home to firetrucks in front of her house. I told her she has to live for her son, for her daugher, and her grief was undeniably to be expected. i asked her name, and it was Nicci. I had my port flushed and pump retturned and i could n't gt out of there fast enough. I wept uncontrollably in the parking lot...for her, her family, my cancer and all those others affected by the disease. I called jeff and wept to him...I had to do something. Nicci mentioned her husband was an Allergist so I looked them up in the phonebook and made the call. I explained to the receptionist who I had met and if by chance this was the Doctors wife...it was. I hung up and penned her a note telling her my admiration for her was enormous and me crying over my treatment was trivial.....and so i went on. A few days ago a friend of mine was working in the lab at the local hospital when her colleague said 'I am so sad, my best friend died from cancer' naturally my friend mentioned me and my diagnosis-when her colleague described her friends  fate, it was Nicci. So I receivd the phone call telling me she had passed. I was stunned. I have been thinking about her nonstop for days ever since learning of her passing...so many people have to go through this disease and all it's extensions. The lessons I was dealt are numerous, but this story floored me the most and now her family must go on having lost a son, a brother and she taken by this deadly disease..It's all so insane, it just has to  be cured. It has to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment